You have been issued an entry visa for the territory of the Schengen States (1).
This visa does not give you, however, an absolute guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the territory of these States.
The authorities involved in border control will check in particular:
- if you are in possession of a valid document authorising you to cross the border and if this document is accompanied by the requisite visa;
- if you have not exceeded the maximum duration of authorised stay in the territory of the Schengen States, i.e. three months per six-month period (2);
- your point of departure and your destination as well as the purpose of the stay and if necessary, the corresponding supporting documents.
Therefore, please keep the following documents to hand for each presentation at border crossing points:
- your travel document bearing a valid visa;
- the documentation justifying the purpose and conditions of your stay in the territory of the Schengen States (letter of invitation, hotel reservation, staying with a host);
- the documents justifying sufficient means of subsistence for the duration and the purpose of the intended stay (cash, travellers' cheques, credit cards, declarations of sponsorship).
Entry to the territories of the Schengen States shall be refused:
- if you are not in possession of a valid travel document;
- if you have no valid visa;
- if you cannot produce the documents justifying the purpose and conditions of your stay;
- if you cannot produce the documents justifying that you have sufficient means of subsistence in relation to the duration and form of intended stay;
- if you have already stayed three months during a six-month period on the territory of the Schengen States.
(1) Austria, Belgium, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
(2) The six-month period must be calculated from the date of the first entry.