Embassy of Belgium in Malaysia



What is a legalisation?

The legalisation certifies the origin of a document. It is the authentication by an official authority of the genuineness of a signature, the capacity of the signer and, if applicable, the identity of the stamp or the seal on the document.


Do you legalise diplomas issued in Belgium?

Yes, provided they have already been legalised by the Community to which the educational establishment is answerable:

Pour les titres délivrés par les établissements d’enseignement supérieur organisés ou subventionnés par la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles
Direction générale de l’enseignement non-obligatoire et de la Recherche scientifique 
Rue Adolphe Lavallée, 1 
B-1080 Bruxelles 
T: 02 690 88 98 
F: 02 690 88 40 

Pour les titres délivrés par les établissements d’enseignement fondamental et secondaire organisés par la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles 
Service général de l’Enseignement Organisé par la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles 
City Center 1 Boulevard du Jardin Botanique, 20-22 (1er étage) 
B-1000 Bruxelles 
T: 02 690 81 25 
F: 02 690 80 35 

Flemish Community 
Hendrik Conscience Gebouw 1 B 01 
Koning Albert II-laan 15 
B-1210 Brussels 
T: +32 (0)491/99.68.42 
Legalisation is provided free of charge by the relevant department.

German-Speaking Community, Ministry of Education 
Gospertstrasse, 1-5 
B-4700 Eupen 
T: +32 (0)87/744539



Does the Legalisation Office at FPS Foreign Affairs legalise copies of passports or identity cards?

No. In the case of a Belgian passport or identity card, you should be asking your municipality for a certificate containing the information that appears on the document(s) in question and signed by the burgomaster or an alderman. You may apply to a notary too. The certificate does not have to show the photography marking of the document.

In the case of a foreign passport or identity card, you should consult the embassy of the country where the document was issued. The certified copy of the document will then be legalised by the Legalisation Office at FPS Foreign Affairs.