Information on birth, acknowledgement of parentage, intercountry adoption, giving a name, marriage, cohabitation, divorce, and death abroad.


You are Belgian and want to get married in Malaysia.
  1. Last updated on

All information on mariage abroad is available on the website of the FPS Foreign Affairs.

Registration of marriage

The procedure to register the marriage of a Belgian in Malaysia at the Embassy is as follows:

1. Apply for a extract of your marriage certificate

The National Registration Department of Malaysia 
No. 20 Persiaran Perdana, Precint 2, 
Federal Government Administrative Centre, 
62551 Federal Territory of Putrajaya, 
Tel: 03 - 8000 8000 

2. Have it translated to Dutch or French by one of the translators recognized by the Embassy.

Institut Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia (ITBM). 
Wisma ITBM, No 2, Jalan 2/27E 
Seksyen 10, Wangsa Maju 
53300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia  
Tel: (603) 4145 1800 
Fax: (603) 4149 1535  

3. Get it legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Malaysia 
Wisma Putra 
N°1, Jalan Wisma Putra, Presint 2 
62602 Putrajaya 
Tel: 03-8887 4000 

4. Subsequently, the documents (extract + translation) need to be legalized by the Embassy.

5. The Embassy will then register your marriage in the Belgian Population Register. The original legalized documents will be returned to you and a copy of them will be kept in your file with the Embassy.

We strongly advise the transcription of foreign civil status certificates such as birth and marriage certificates because only then you will be able to obtain copies or extracts of the certificate in Belgium. You can use the same sets of documents you used to register at the Embassy. Without the transcription you will have to revert to the issuing authority in Malaysia or elsewhere, even if you had duly registered the information with the Embassy.

Consulat the list of consular fees for legalisation.